Now that we’ve dispelled all rumours regarding social media’s inability to add value, let’s cover something more advanced. Integration.
Social media is everywhere, linked to everything, and constantly shifting the marketing landscape. But Google’s latest innovation, “Search Plus Your World”, has turned social media into air… You need it to survive. More-so than ever, there is a need for social media to be a part of any successful online marketing campaign.
So how does it work? Essentially, Google will now find content that’s been shared with you privately along with the standard search results field you’re currently accustomed to, all at once. Suddenly the importance of every consumer sharing positive stories and links about your brand, product and service grows exponentially. Now it will come up in people’s relevant searches. The personalised results will include the following:
- The normal search results
- Search results that are pushed higher in ranking because your own behavioural patterns
- Search results that are pushed higher because of what your social connections are doing
- Public Google Plus posts
- Private Google Plus posts that have been shared directly with you
Now currently Google’s latest innovation only takes into account content shared on its own social media network, Google Plus. This has caused some controversy, as many claim that it’s simply a way to favour its own content and leave competitors in its wake. However, Google has publicly said that it’s open to using this system with other social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter and Flickr.
What does this mean for you business? You need a social media campaign. Now.
AOL along with Nielsen released a remarkable study revealing 27 million pieces of content are shared on a daily basis – not including social networking sites – of which 60% mention a brand or product name. As for social media, every 20 minutes on Facebook there are over a million links shared, almost two million status updates, and almost three million photos uploaded. How many of those do you think are related to a brand, product or service? Now imagine if all those shared stories, photos, links, comments, videos and blog posts are integrated into Google’s search results. What does that mean for your business? How will you perform against your competitors who have fantastic social media campaigns and are all over the internet?
Just some food for thought.
- 10 Point Web Designer Checklist To Boost Sales and Drive Conversions Like a Pro - October 1, 2021
- Is your website healthy enough to attract big spenders as lockdowns ease? - September 29, 2021
- 7 Simple Principles of Website Design That Impact User Experience - August 3, 2021